WIC offers breastfeeding support to WIC mamas in a variety of ways
Individualized support from your WIC Nutrition Counselor:
- All WIC Counselors are trained in breastfeeding support. If they don’t know the answer they will be able to connect you with our WIC staff who does.
- WIC has a team of Breastfeeding Peer Counselors, a Certified Lactation Consultant, and an IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) who can help with the most difficult breastfeeding questions or challenges.
Breastfeeding Peer Counselors:
WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselors are moms just like you! They have all breastfed their children and understand the ups and downs that come with it. Need breastfeeding advice, someone to remind you how great of a job you are doing, or someone to just listen? They are here for you 24/7.
Fill out the enrollment form below! You can upload it with your appointment request or by using our document upload.
- Free support available 24/7 by calling (907) 343 – 4755.
- Join their Facebook group, Instagram, and follow them on Facebook.
- Breast pumps are available for breastfeeding mamas who qualify.
- Monthly social gatherings for WIC Moms, Moms-to-Be and their support systems. Children of all ages are encouraged to attend.
- Meet your Breastfeeding Peer Counselor and other parents.
- Share tips and tricks of parenting and feeding.
- Explore different topics monthly like car seat safety, babywearing, milk supply, latching, and weaning.
Baby Basics Classes
- Monthly classes taught by WIC Counselors and Breastfeeding Peer Counselors.
- This class is primarily for expecting parents who want to learn about infant feeding and the resources WIC provides.